Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Dad's Perspective

As a Father's Day special, I asked Scott to guest blog for me about his side of Take Your Baby to Work. Thanks Scott!

Do you remember what you thought when I first suggested we take Scarlett to work-no body gets to stay at home, no nannies, no daycare? (and what did you think?)

I have no recollection of that conversation... I must have been sleepy or in shock or something. It's working out really well though. Scarlett is totally a part of Elan now and I can say we are kid centred parents. I hope one day soon she will be able to answer the phone at the office. Right now she's rubbish at it. We made our family clinic into a family clinic. We get to bring our baby to work because that is lifestyle we created. It's not perfect, but I can't imagine not having my life like this. It works for us.

What is your role as Dad?

To do what ever Josephene tells me to do. Unless she is having a crazy moment... then I refer to the list of things she wrote down for me to do.

But really, there are certain things that I am good at. And certain things that I am not good at. Thank goodness we try to play to our strengths. In out lifestyle... work, home and play all blur together in harmony.

Do you consider yourself an almost-stay-at-home-dad?

Yes. An almost-stay-at-home-dad is an awesome thing. Not only can I provide for the family and get to be there for all the cool milestones... I can do just about anything just short of nursing. You name it... I can do it! Sure, I might not get a diaper on straight now and again... but she is well loved and never in harms way.

What's your favorite part so far?

It's hard to put your finger on just one part to call your favorite. But if I had to pick one thing that lights up my day, if would be pulling into the driveway at the end of a day and seeing Scarlett waving to me from the front window.

Any advice to other parents? (or dads?)

Get some sleep, put another load of laundry on and don't forget to laugh. Oh, and relish in the knowledge that they just may have to change your diaper one day.

Anything else you want to share?

Well, it's Father's Day and I still can't believe we have a wonderful, beautiful little girl. Sure she keeps us up, makes messes and is really good birth control (co-sleeping)... but she is the light of our lives and has brought out the fun we stored away. Dad's.... hug your kids and your amazing wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment