Thursday, May 20, 2010

No Park For Us Today

It looks like our local park is out of commission.



I'm sad. Truthfully, I never really paid attention to the pesticide/herbicide applications by the City of Calgary, until I used the parks. Now I'm wondering if I should be using this park. I know that there are parks around that do not spray and it may be time for me to search them out. Anybody reading this, please let me know of close and safe parks that we can go to!

Look how close to the playground equipment it is!

I was recently asked if we would be getting playground equipment in our backyard for Scarlett and I had no intention of doing so-aside from an inflatable pool and other toys. I was happy walking with her to the local park where we could play. I think it's great to help build community, meet new people or to see people we know, and to just get a break from our surroundings. But today, I'm rethinking that decision.

By the way, the sign shows that it uses, Killex 500, a mix of 2-4 D, Dicamba and Mecoprop, which has been "persuasively linked to cancers, neurological impairment and reproductive problems." (quoted from an article in the Calgary Herald, June 28, 2007). I am sure there is more nasty information on the herbicide, but I didn't look for any more.

As much as I was looking forward to the sun this long weekend, now I'm looking forward to rain to help wash some of the chemicals away. Although there really is no "away" is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment